As the year marches on, days become shorter and the air outside gets colder: Winter is coming. You need to make sure your furnace is ready for the winter, or you’ll get left in the cold.
Here are some year-round furnace repair and prep tips so that you can be your own heating contractor.
It’s important to make sure you have your furnace in working order during the cold winter months hit. Follow these steps to make sure you don’t spend your winter months in the cold!
Important: Before you follow any of these tips, flip the breaker to turn off your furnace.
- Remove some dust: Open up your furnace and, with a vacuum and some brushes, remove the dust from inside the furnace. This dust will clog the machine, making it less efficient.
- Replace your filters: During the heavy-usage months, make sure to clean or replace your filter at least once a month.
- Consult a heating contractor: Get your local heating contractor to come and give your system an overall tune-up. Your local HVAC contractor can prevent some more serious issues that might cause your furnace to break when you need it most.
While A/C repair is mostly on the mind during summer time, don’t forget your furnace completely. A winter of hard work can cause some problems, and the summer is a great time to get some quality furnace repair done.
- Check your fan blades: With the furnace bringing in air from all around the house, something is bound to clog up your fan rotor. Make sure it’s all clean and grease it up a bit to have a nice, efficient fan.
- Turn off the pilot light: Shutting your pilot light off can save you some money, and help keep your house cooler.