Warm weather is beginning to reach cities all across the U.S. As temperatures rise, we crank up our air conditioners and watch our electric bills rise. So what can we do to save money on our energy bills?
Here are some tips that can help you save money:
- Have a HVAC technician perform regular maintenance at the beginning of the season. An expert will be able to spot inefficiencies and problems before they develop, saving you both time and stress.
- Install a programmable thermostat and set it to a warmer temperature for the hours that you’re not home—cooling your home when you’re not there wastes energy.
- Plant trees and shrubs around your home to block the sun from warming up your house. Creating shade around your home can reduce energy costs by up to 30%. Close your drapes and install awnings to keep the keep the sun’s hot rays out. Consider painting your home a light color and using light colored tiles on your roof to help reflect heat.
- Avoid creating heat inside your home by using an outdoor grill, microwave, or crockpot for cooking. Delay chores like running the dishwasher, washer, or drying until later since they give off heat while running.
- Switch to compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL) which use 75% less energy. CFLs also give off 75% less heat than traditional bulbs.
- Check that your A/C unit is the correct size for your home. Also, if you have an older model, then consider replacing it with a newer unit. Today’s units are 30-50% more efficient than units over 15 years old.
When you need a qualified HVAC contractor to perform air condition repair or furnace repairs, turn to the professionals at Blue Dot Services of Maryland. For over 40 years, we’ve been serving the mid-Atlantic region. Allow our certified technicians to help you with your furnace repairs, A/C repairs, new installation, or preventative maintenance check. Contact Blue Dot Services of Maryland for your appointment today!